Old 01-22-11, 06:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've been asked the same question many times ... how can I afford to dash off to Europe or Australia or wherever while the person asking me the question (often a coworker) is struggling to make ends meet. And it is about priorities. It is a priority for my coworker to pay for cigarettes and to go out to the bar 2 or 3 nights a week ... it is a priority for me to put money in the bank to pay for my next trip. It is a priority for my coworker to keep upgrading to a nicer apartment or condo or to get the latest and greatest "toys" (Nintendo, Wii, big screen TV, etc.) ... it is a priority for me to put money in the bank to pay for my next trip.

I agree with most of what you've said ... especially the part about getting rid of the debt. It is a very good thing to be debt free ... so freeing in so many ways! I have been in debt a few times in my life, and as soon as I was able, I have worked very hard to get rid of that debt. One debt, in particular, was a 5-year loan ... it was gone in less than 18 months because I didn't want it hanging over me for 5 years. Getting rid of my debts quickly has been a matter of paying the required amount on the debt each month, plus a bit extra ... and it's amazing how quickly the process of regularly paying a bit extra can reduce a debt.

But another aspect of being able to afford to tour and travel is employment ... acquiring the money. Most of us don't win lotteries, or get inheritances from rich uncles, or whatever ... most of us work and earn the money.

So a few tips ...

1. Additional employment ... picking up a part-time job in addition to your regular full-time job. I have done this many times in order to be able to pay down debts faster and to save money for something. The entire earnings from the part-time job go toward "the goal", while the earnings from the full-time job go toward living expenses etc. as usual. Christmas is a particularly good time for this ... you can often pick up a part-time retail position in early October and work through till early January. I've done this, and I had several acquaintences who liked to spend a couple weeks every January/February someplace hot and tropical do it as well. Retail jobs don't pay brilliantly, but 3 or 4 months of working through the Christmas rush can pay for a plane ticket and then some. Or for a cycletourist setting off from home, the amount that could be earned in that time could keep the cycletourist going for a month or two.

2. Good educational choices. I spent my 20s trying to figure out what I wanted to do when I grew up, and trying to afford to go to University and get the degree ... like I was supposed to. Finally, toward the end of my 20s, I gave up the idea of a degree and decided to focus on getting some skills. I got my Engineering Tech certification (much shorter and less expensive than a degree) ... which got me a decent position with a company ... which allowed me to continue on and get further skills-oriented education ... which allowed me to get a better position with the same company ... which allowed me to earn enough to save for several tours, including a 90 day tour of Australia and my first year of University upon my return. All that skills-oriented education and experience also allowed me to get good-paying jobs while I was in University, so I could pay for University and still travel now and then ... and I finally graduated in my early 40s.

I have absolutely no regrets going the skills route ... I just wish I had done it earlier. While you're still young (but even if you're older), take a year or two and get skills certification. Having skills can open up your employment options, which can open so many doors.

3. Travel as much as you can when you're under 30. Many countries have a work-and-travel program for young people ... if you're under 30, you can come to Australia and work the harvest trail, for example, travelling through Australia and working to pay for your travel expenses. You can often go to places in Europe and do similar things. Once you reach 30, however, a lot of the doors for those sorts of opportunities close.

We enjoy our travelling experiences ... but we have worked hard to get there.