View Single Post
Old 05-31-05, 10:30 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
It is a myth “that to ride VC, you have to be some super fit, super skilled roadie”. All bikes and all riders can ride VC if they are willing to learn, practice and dispose of some of their baseless fears.

My hats off to you, the fact that you are willing to ride uphill and make a left turn from the left tire track on this winding road on a recumbent, tells me that you are an extremely skilled and experienced rider. My travel bike is a folding recumbent. Mostly because I can take it on a plane trip for free (I hate paying airline extortion), but also, a recumbent is fun to drive. We both know that a recumbent reduces the initial speed with which we are able to accelerate from a stop, making the left turn unsafe to perform from a stop. Your choice to change mode to pedestrian in this case is not counter or anti VC, it is what VC would dictate for safety. I was not trying to put you down. Forgive me if you read it as a put down, I will try harder next time to avoid any such misunderstanding.

I grew up in Colorado, and I have a winding gulch in Hawaii I ride on a daily commute. I know what you are talking about with continuous S-curve roads. My suggestion of passing the turn deals with gaining a better line of sight for you before crossing the roadway. For example, you might ride to the apex of the next left hand curve. At this point, you have a longer line of sight both uphill and downhill (over the point you normally make your left turn). That should make for an easier and safer road crossing either by riding or running.

I would never suggest any bicyclist should have to find another route. We deserve to use any route we choose. If engineering problems exist, then it is the engineering problem that should be fixed. If the problem is law breakers, then the cops should be giving tickets for that (rather than this stupid click it or ticket campaign). I have been told too many times that I should choose another route or ride the bus when I have pointed out poor road engineering.

Glad to hear your main route will be back soon. I am still trying to convince the State to fix the gulch road on my main route (so no more drivers have to die because of it’s poor design and the speeders).
Thank you. I appreciate your comments. A recumbent is a different kind of beast. Great fun, too, as you know.

I wish I had enough energy to ride up that silly road the mile it would take to find a good place to turn around. But it's after work and I just want to go home. I tried this on my scooter once and found that making a U-turn across a double-yellow line even if I can see isn't very safe (or legal) either.

What I don't get is why in Hawaii would anybody ever drive a car? I would ride a beach cruiser every day and wear sandals and never worry about getting wet in the rain. Ah, but it's a stereotype, isn't it? I digress.

I have to say that if I could change my vote, I would. I got pulled over (by a bike cop no less) the other day for not stopping at a red light (well, I did stop, but then I said to hell with it and just went.) So I suppose I ride VC less than 95% of the time since I guess I'm not too good at stopping completely at lights and stop signs.

As far as riding taking the lane all the time? Put me down for practically never. I don't have much reason to except on a couple of narrow residential roads.