View Single Post
Old 01-28-11, 06:02 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I also am prone to tinker (and then some) but as close as I got was with a friend's ALAN Carbonio frame that had a loose joint: the DT-HT. If the frame had been my size, I was tempted to throw caution to the wind and attempt to re-bond with some super-strong epoxy (Hysol, now a Henkel/LocTite company) that I've used before. It is awesomely strong (in shear and peel strength) but also expensive...and the preparation is crucial. Luckily the frame was too big so it's gone to a new owner who hopefully got it fixed somewhere. There's a outfit in B.C. Canada who repairs Vitus and ALAN frames (for a price): http://www.guywires.com/vitusmain.htm
Yes, Guywires is still alive in Canada, but I think in a much smaller scale than they were before. At least emails to them are still responded to, as they did last year to me. As for parts that they used to carry for Vitus frames, the person from Guywires emailed me that they have very limited ("small") parts left in their inventory, and of course, not expecting to get anymore, but he did welcome any inquiries for parts, just in case he still has what a Vitus frame owner might be looking for.

Chombi