View Single Post
Old 01-29-11, 08:29 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
The Mikashima Sylvan Touring pedals arrived yesterday. I've taken one apart and the spindle fits in the Lyotard 460D pedal body okay but it's too short to fit the lock-nut to the end after the bearing cone.

The spindle designs are the same:

[IMG]
IMG_5382 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Mikashima spindle looks to be of higher quality with the surface showing clear signs of having been bead blasted for strength, or 'shot peened', as mentioned earlier by Mike Mills.

[IMG]
IMG_5383 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

The spindle fits into the body okay but the very thick bearing cone fitted leaves no room for the washer and lock-nut:

IMG_5384 by Dawes-man, on Flickr

The balls in both the Lyotard and the Mikashima pedals measure exactly 3.9mm across and I think this, together with the general design of the pedals and spindles, clearly shows that Mikashima copied the Lyotard design.

And now? I've bought 2 pairs of the Mikashima pedals and will fit them to my Chesini Pista and my touring bike, the Peugeot. I've bought a pair of Constrictor platform pedals that will go on my Thanet (when it's finished), as they have short threads for steel cranks. I've bought a pair of Bramptons for the Hetchins MO. I've decided to take all my Lyotard pedals apart to polish the spindles and then check for cracks or imperfections.

I went to visit my English Lightweight collector friend yesterday and took the broken spindle and pedal to show him. He works for Honda Research & Development and said he would show the spindle to someone at work who would probably be able to say exactly what had happened. I shall post anything he tells me here.

In the meantime, I would like to thank everyone for your interest and suggestions. I have learnt a hell of a lot. Thank you!