alison_in_oh
Focus on the future

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evaeli7
Hello-
I am fairly new to road biking and am looking for a road bike to get good with. I am a bit familiar with the lingo, but does anyone know of a good website that explains the basic terminology of road bikes so that I can learn a bit more? Also, I need to find a bike that I can grow into, I am a woman and would rather have a bike that is designed for females. Any suggestions? What are some specific things that I should look out for when purchasing a new bike? Would anyone recommend a used bike over a new one, or vice-versa?
Thanks.
It's my understanding that WSD (women specific design) is most important for shorter women. The main difference is a slightly different frame geometry that accommodates the way our torso-to-leg proportion is different from a man's. But at my frame size (52 cm) and height (5'5") it's looking like a standard frame geometry is OK for me. Other WSD perks are the saddle, sometimes they will have special levers or smaller bars to accommodate smaller fingers, etc. One thing that kind of irks me is that they usually come with a triple chainring even if the men's version does not; but on the other hand this can help you to get up challenging hills.

If you buy a new bike from a knowledgeable dealer, you'll be sure to get a good fit and you'll have a warranty, etc. It's a little more of a challenge to get a good used bike and be sure of fit and that you aren't getting a lemon, but if you have a knowledgeable friend they might help you to get a sweet deal.