View Single Post
Old 01-31-11, 12:58 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I don't think that water is much of an issue on road bikes like Sheldon says because bike tires are so narrow. I run a set of Kenda 838's on my Mt. Hood during the summer months because they are smooth and roll with very little resistance for their width while still not jarring you to death. They are wide almost like a motorcycle tire and at higher speeds I guess they would hydroplane if they weren't grooved. But all the Kenda's I own are not marked for a rotation direction and say Kenda on both sidewalls.

I can imagine some tires with blocky and taller/thicker tread segments which may squirm around a little bit under extreme cornering and/or braking at some lower pressures. If they are shaped a certain way to avoid squirm going one way they may squirm a hellalot spinning the other way. If a manufacturer wants a tire to go a certain way then one should probably follow it or risk some adverse handling effects. I know with motorcycle tires if you run certain tread designs backwards the tire squirm is scary/nasty in the wrong direction.

I do like those Kenda 838's They excude stickiness in the corners right down to dragging pedals lean angles. I suppose us crazy sportbike riders shouldn't be riding bicycles like they are motorcycles