Old 02-02-11, 07:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
In defense of LBS, on one point:
With today's litigation environment, there are vermin out there that want something to go wrong, and know the shop has liability coverage. Other consumers have the attitude that they can bring it back anytime, for any reason, and do.

Shops are getting more and more away from selling used bikes that aren't in great shape, simply because any problem will come back to them. I flip very few bikes, but once in a while a guy will call after 600 miles put on the bike and say "my shifter's stuck, etc." There's usually a short period of silence, followed by "bummer, bring it in, but I'll only look at fixing it, and it really depends on what's wrong." Shops, increasingly, can't really say that, even if it's right.

The same guy who tells the shop "yeah, I know it's old, needs work, and there's no guarantee" will come back with his mouthpiece if he falls over and scrapes a knee, claiming Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, 3rd degree ovarian cancer, and asbestos poisoning.

The shop may not be low-balling; they simply don't want the bike because they can't resell it without tremendous risk. Or, they know better than to resell it and are making a $400 offer for a wall or shelf decoration. Or, at $400, they can afford to go through it end to end, re-decal it, and still make a profit. Labor spent on their bikes costs them twice; in payroll and work not done for customers.

My LBS will give me a bike, with a request to try and get "something" out of it.
He knows I can sell it on CL whether I fix it up or not; he doesn't dare.

Just something to think about. If I had an LBS, I'd not touch a Graftex for resale, though I'd certainly want to.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-02-11 at 07:06 PM.