Old 02-04-11, 10:44 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Wake up call!

Guys, you want to strip anodizing easily, safely and for less money (and less mess) than Easy-Off? Go here:

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index....d&productId=37

At $16.00 a bottle, it sounds expensive until you realize how much stuff you can strip with it. It took me almost a year to go through one bottle and I was stripping everything I did drillium on. One TSP per gallon of water (I think; mixing instructions come with the product).

Mix it in a plastic container, using warm water. Once it's in solution, drop your parts in. Once the part has either turned a uniformly dull alloy color - or uniformly black/dark grey, pull out of the solution (I use tongs/hemostats - this stuff will chemically burn just like the lye-based removers) and rinse off with lukewarm water, using fine steel wool with Dawn or similar dish washing detergent to completely remove the black/dark grey residue. You can leave it in for a good 30 minutes without worrying about pitting the alloy. Black anodizing usually takes a little longer to remove than the silver type, but even that stuff comes off amazingly quickly.

** Important! Have some ventilation when you're doing this. I mean, you can do it in your garage with the door closed, but don't lean over it and breath deeply if you know what I mean...

At almost $5.00 a can for EO, and the subsequent mess, this stuff pays for itself first time out. Give it a try and I personally guarantee you will never go back.

DD