Old 02-06-11, 01:47 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Bikes: 2 motos and a schwinn (road bikes more or less)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmoneygetpaid
Yep, quite right. The clearance is pretty good-- the framebuilder I got it from said it could definitely fit raceblades and 32mm tires.

A bunch of people commented on rust-- if I go the diy route, I'm going to strip paint then bathe it in oxalic acid to remove internal and external rust after I strip it.

The costs for these options (rattle can vs. powdercoat) are still pretty different.

Oxalic acid was $8
Paint stripper will be $10
Rustoleum rattle can metal primer $4
Rustoleum polyurethane finish $8
Sand paper $5
Tape $5

Total $40

Versus $125. That's significant. The powdercoat option is pretty appealing, and I really like the frame, but I can't really justify spending the $. Maybe I'll hang onto it till the spring and see if I have more disposable moneys.

I would do it outside above my apt's back porch, where I won't need any drop cloths

One thing about it, if you decide to do it all yourself, you can be extra proud of it. And there is a great feeling in knowing that you did.

If you do decide to do it, read everything you can about the process, there was a great thread here awhile back about a 71 Atala frame, just take your time and don't rush anything.

There's no debate about the virtues of a good PC job...its better. But, its all about what you want personally. I'd be very hesitant about handing my frame over to someone i don't know.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide. Oh, and don't forget brush painting, i have seen some amazing work done that way. Might be worth investigating.

andy