View Single Post
Old 02-09-11, 11:58 AM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with the sentiment of the representative but the implementation would be difficult. If there were a way to identify the people with drunk driving convictions and keep them off the roads permanently then I'd be for his bill. If there were stringent testing and standards in place that would take into account elderly people, crazy people, epileptics and people with other medical conditions, then such a system might be able to work.

Everybody would need to carry an identification card. There would be no prohibitions for letting citizens drive and no regular license renewals. Upon being convicted of an offense the courts could require the stamping of the ID with whatever restrictions were necessary according to the offense. If the person was caught breaking the law or not obeying the restrictions such person would face arrest and jail.

As it is now drunk drivers usually continue doing it even after their first conviction. The ID system wouldn't be any different. It would just eliminate the licensing process. The drunks would again be caught and brought before a judge. Until they are taken off the road for the first conviction and jailed for the second I see no change in this area of driving.

Recently I got a commercial driver license. The DMV testing was on a computer and driving around. I can parallel park a bus. My company only required fifteen hours of behind the wheel training but I got one week. I completed over seventy hours of in class training. With so little on road experience I was let loose driving a bus load of passengers. I'm still learning and improving but I was allowed on the roads.

People are allowed to drive cars with very little training. It's amazing that there aren't more crashes.