Old 06-02-05, 02:20 PM
akisicki
Fending off mediocrity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrowedc
It seems that I'm moving from DC to Boston in July. I've found lots of threads on track-friendly shops, one thread about where to ride, but not much on cool neighborhoods to live in. What are the central areas of boston (close to downtown--no outskirts or suburbs)?

I'll be working just over the river in cambridge, near the bridge with the science museum on it. It's essential that I be able to ride to work. Any suggestions? I plan on making several trips to find a place.
The metro north of the Charles River (Cambridge & Somerville) has a distinctly different feel than south of the river (Boston-proper). South side has a bit of an older and urban feel to it, where as the North side is a bit more sleepy. Figuring out which feel you like will go a long way in helping find a neighborhood.

Secondly, Boston is tiny in terms of space. You can ride just about anywhere inside the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area within a half-hour. So, that keeps your options open. But here are my suggestions (all in Boston proper):

Bay Village
North End
Chinatown
South End
Kenmore/Fenway (heavy student population in places)
Jamacia Plain

2K will get you a nice place in any of these areas. It will get you less space in BV, NE & SE, but you get a nice postcard feel from the neighborhoods.

North of the River:

Central Square
Davis Square