View Single Post
Old 02-09-11, 08:42 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked 3,519 Times in 1,232 Posts
Modern 130 wheels like Alex Race24's are out there a'plenty and less than $100 a pair (sometimes...shipped!). They will slip between the chainstays very easily- never had a problem either muscleing them in there or with any structural issues afterwards. Lots of those late 80's frames were migrating to 128mm anyway. So you can do full Shimano 640X (or sister 105 2nd gen 1055/6 in frosty color) up to 8 speeds with zero problemo, matching gruppo, verty straightforward, very sweet working and riding bike- see pic.

Surprisingly, for not much more than Shimano 640X, you can go 5500 series 105 or 6500 series Ultegra 9 speed indexed. Sure, the DT shifters are more expensive but they can be found for $50-ish (somebody had a set of D-A's on the for sale thread recently), and the cassettes are about the same price as an 8 speed if you shop around. For a crankset, shop eBay for a compact square taper (both the Truvativ and FSA compacts are SWELL in my opinion) and use a 113-115 BB. My personal ST (again, see pic) is Ultegra 9 speed with a Truvativ triple, but I have a compact Truvativ on my Super Tempo.

I can fully understand why you would want to put a matching modern-ish setup on that frame. Done it many times, even kept a couple of them, and have never had a complaint.