View Single Post
Old 02-15-11, 02:41 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
It seems to me that the range of responses, suggestions, etc. here is pointing to something obvious: the 'tricky' nature of "back pain" ... both causes [underlying conditions] and symptoms.

FWIW, my suggestion would be: at your/our age, don't play around with this, or attempt to self-diagnose/treat. Go to a reputable sports physiothe******, preferably at a reputable sports-medicine clinic, and get an assessment. This may or may not involve a consult with a doc, but should result in a proper understanding of your particular back issues, both in and of themselves and in relation to cycling.

That is what I had to do two years ago, after a crippling (and I mean crippling) bout of 'sciatica' (which is a symptom, not a condition). I'd always had some back pain associated with cycling, and at this point thought 'well, probably no more bike for me.' Result: I found out what the problem was/is (severe degenerative osteoarthritis in the spine and elsewhere, combined with congenital scoliosis), and specifically what to do about my particular condition (exercises, posture, etc).

That understanding, coupled with proper bike fit, has led to my having no restrictions whatever on cycling, other than avoiding 'pushing' big gears, and no pain. In fact, I got the good news that cycling was in fact one of the best things I could do 'for' my back.

Your situation may simply be related to bike/fit, but then again the problem may be elsewhere; why not find out?