Old 02-16-11, 01:43 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by beebe
This seems to be a little less clear cut than cyclists want to make it out to be. There's no conclusive evidence that either party was completely at fault, and placing blame just to side with cyclists when there is not enough evidence to make a valid claim of fault is counter-productive. It is entirely reasonable to point out the law stating that one must travel at a speed where they can avoid any obstacles in the road. On the other hand, it is reasonable to ask why any cyclist in their right mind would be stopped in the middle of a 50mph road on a rainy night.
If I remember correctly, the spokesman was quoted as saying that he didn't know of any "reasonable" reason why a cyclist would stop in the middle of the travel lane of a road where traffic is known to travel at 50+ MPH. Without trying to "clear" the lane. Hmm, there is at least one reason that I can think of. The cyclists pant leg gets caught in the chain. I think that we all know that if one get's their pant leg caught in the chain that until you clear the chain ya ain't going anywhere.