View Single Post
Old 02-17-11, 10:28 AM
Harold K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Sounds awfully high to me. Not the dollar amount, which is just a few hours work in most shops, but the fact that you had to have work done several times in 18 months. Are things actually breaking, or are you paying for stuff you could easily do yourself, like lubrication and cable adjustment? I haven't taken my bikes to the shop in probably 25 years, except for wheelbuilding, so I could be out of touch on the cost. But I've probably ridden 6000 miles in the last three years (I'm just a recreational rider now, and don't keep close track), and I don't remember doing anything to the bikes beyond lube, tires and minor adjustments.
As for the rear derailleur, I've probably ridden close to 100,000 miles in the last 40 years, and I think I've only worn out one, an old Huret. I've ripped them off against rocks, bent them by getting sticks caught in the chain, damaged them in falls, but I can't remember wearing any out. That doesn't mean you don't need one, but I'd ask what was wrong.
You guys have convinced me to get a bike repair manual and do the work myself. I think the deal with the derailleur is that its not a good one and not worth repairing. The only thing wrong with it is the spring is weak and doesn't put enough tension on the chain. It can be fixed but I think upgrading is a good idea.
Everything has a learning curve, last week I bought a new chain and replaced the two sprockets on the derailleur. After putting it back together the chain was jumping on the rear sprocket. I couldn't figure out why so I took it to the shop. They explained to me that the rear sprockets were worn out and the old chain also being worn matched, the new chain didn't so it skipped. Worn sprockets had never entered my mind, so now I know what to look for. Well I was gonna go for a ride, but its starting to snow.