View Single Post
Old 02-23-11, 09:19 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Powergrips...ripoff?

I'm reposting this from the SS/FG forum for a different perspective:

I currently ride SPDs, but I'm thinking about switching to Power Grips because I feel like I'm losing efficiency with the fixed fore/aft foot positioning of SPDs...plus studies show that "pulling" really only unweights the foot and that should be easier if you can get the foot 1-2mm off the pedal with a looser retention mechanism (b/c you can't have inefficient upstroke pressure if your foot isn't touching and your foot doesn't need to touch if you have some retention to keep it close).

Now as far as Power Grips go, I could understand why people would pay to have all the hardware and such already worked out, but what I'm having some difficulty understanding why anyone would spend the $20+ on Powergrips when it seems like every cage pedal already includes all the hardware needed to mount any old $1 nylon straps.

The new Power Grip fixie straps especially illustrate the apparent superfluousness of the Power Grip system:

See how the mounting bolts go through those holes in the straps? Why not save 50 grams and just use the bolts which already mount the cage to the pedal body?

Seems like a no brainer and that potential customers would at least just buy the $12 spare straps (although if anything I hear their quality/durability is lacking). Am I missing something here?

Last edited by chucky; 02-23-11 at 09:34 AM.