View Single Post
Old 02-23-11, 12:56 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
sorry but none of that makes sense to me. Relaxing/unweighting the foot is a technique issue that doesn't require actually lifting the shoe off the pedal, besides that means you have to waste time putting it back down, but the fixed foot enables you to pull back at the bottom of the stroke in high rpms. Powergrips are simply a means to allow some foot/pedal retention with ANY shoe.
While it is true that in theory one doesn't have to lift the foot to unweight the pedal, studies show that even the best top level athletes still apply a little downward pressure on the upstroke. Physically separating the foot from the pedal, on the other hand, guarantees there will be zero pressure on the upstroke (even for untrained riders) and if you can retain the foot a few mm above the pedal then you won't waste any time putting it back down.

I have absolutely no problem pulling back at the bottom of the stroke with normal platform pedals with the "wipe the dog poo of the shoe" technique. If I switch to Power Grips I also plan to use the same SPD compatible shoes w/o cleats installed as I do on my platform pedal bikes b/c I like the stiff soles.

The main problem I'm trying to solve is that with SPDs I can't use the arch of my foot for hammering and the ball of my foot for spinning.

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
The mounting screws for those pedals you've shown in pic #2 are flush head screws. They've got a "V" shaped taper at the head, and the screws would pull through the strap. You can't use a washer with those screws, and that's why they supply for mounting the PowerGrips straps.
Additionally, you're not replacing those screws with what PG supplies for you. Those flush heads attach the cage to the pedal body. The attachment hardware for the straps goes through the set of holes used for mounting clips; that's why there's a nylock nut on the backside... To keep everything tight and in place even with all the pressure being exerted on it from twisting and pedaling. If you just used the cage mount screws, chances are they'd work themselves out and you'd be left with not only a loose strap, but also a loose pedal cage.
Good point, although I've never heard of a cage coming loose, they don't experience twisting directly on the bolt and the nylock nuts probably make a big difference with that.

You've convinced me...now I wonder if I'd prefer Power Grips or loose toe straps?

Last edited by chucky; 02-23-11 at 01:04 PM.