Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
The exact build doesn't matter. Basically, just use a lightweight road front hub, a formula or dimension rear (to keep costs down), and pair it with the Kinlin rims of your choice (or something else light like an aerohead), and lace the whole thing up with strongly butted spokes, either CXrays or some other round spoke with the same butting (2.0/1.5/2.0). The exact weight doesn't matter, but you should be able to easily get into the 1500 gm range or under with this strategy. The deeper rim you choose the stiffer the wheel and less spokes you need, but deeper rims add a few grams. I'm about 190 and prefer a 27 or 30 mm deep rim with 24-28 spokes...about 1500 gms wheelset. If you can build the wheels yourself or get them built for free somehow (by a friend), you'll be able to do this for ~$300 (more or less depending on what parts you choose). When built by a competent person, FG wheels are very stiff and strong due to the lack of dish, so you can get away with a lot less weight than you might think you can. Most people riding FG/SS are riding on wheels that are way overbuilt (2000+ gms).
With all respect, I think you'll see 1792 grams with Mihlbach's formula, above.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/wh...alculator.html

Kinlin's lightest clincher rims weigh 60 grams (per pair) more than either Velocity Aeroheads or DT Swiss RR 1.1's, and conventional double-butted spokes add 90 grams (per pair).

CX-Ray spokes (and DT Aerolite) weigh a third less than conventional double-butted spokes, test stronger by far, but cost an additional $90 for two wheels.

I ride at a minimum of 200 lbs (no pack), and, for the street, I feel at risk with less than 32 spokes in back and 28 in front, especially riding at night (even with good lighting, I've hit some potholes at night).

Still, Mihlbach's observation about the extra strength of having no dish intrigues me.

I'd like to see a picture of a 28 spoke rear wheel.

It sounds aesthetically interesting.

Seven pairs of crossing spokes per side.