no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
I just had to resurrect this thread, as it finally pushed me to buy a Brooks, which happened to arrive today.

I'm one of those people that is never comfortable in his saddle. I'm always squirming around, trying to find a comfy spot. I suffer from chronic numbness in my privates, no matter what saddle I try (I've got a pile of them). I'm also always broken out in ingrown hairs on my butt, much of which is caused by the friction of all the squirming around. I also have wide seat bones, which makes saddle selection a nightmare.

So of course I bought a $100.00 dollar saddle for my $40.00 Craigslist bike. Hahahahahahahaha...... But initial testing this evening is positive. It's a basic black Brooks B68. I almost went for the Imperial version, but decided to just try a stock saddle first. The Brooks is about the same width as my two most comfortable plastic saddles, which are '90's style Diamondback and Avenir mountain bike saddles. But the B68 is much harder than any plastic padded saddle. I'm talking wicked hard, not that it's a bad thing. My seat bones need to get a bit used to the hard saddle, and I'm sure that the saddle will break in a bit, but my test ride today was still much more comfortable than most any ride I've had in years. I experienced no numbness whatsoever. Woohoo!!!!!

And due to the slippery nature of the leather saddle, my butt isn't all broken out tonight. There's just no friction to mess with your tush. It will take some time to get used to the slipperiness though. It's kind of unsettling at first, even with the nose tipped up a bit. But it feels great to readjust yourself, and not have to unstick your butt from saddle first.

I'm not the type to get something new, and immediately cry out that it is the best thing since sliced bread, but it's hard not to be exited tonight. To go for a half hour ride tonight, without the squirming, itching, and nasty nether-numbness, is a positive revelation to me.
You'll quit squirming and sliding after it gets broken in. Which should make you like your new saddle even more when it's not so new.