View Single Post
Old 02-28-11, 03:14 PM
Dan The Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
If the helmet didnt work, you would have brain injury or death. The job of a helmet is to absorb energy. I know you cant say for sure that a bike helmet saved someone. I do think its pretty safe to assume that a bike helmet will absorb some of the impact. Does it absorb enough to save you from a brain injury every time? I doubt it, but I think its fairly safe to assume that if something absorbs impact that there is a certain range of impact where a helmet could make a difference. We can look at studies all day, but if you knew your head was about to hit the pavement and you had the option to put on a bike helmet, wouldnt you do it? Or would you say, "studies haven't shown conclusively any benefit to a helmet, I'll just hit it with my bare head and take my chances".
That same argument could be made with the word pillow or cheese or pretty much any object in place of helmet. If you knew your head was about to hit the pavement and you had the option to tape a 1 kilo brick of mozzarella to your head, wouldn't you do it? Or would you say, "studies haven't shown conclusively any benefit to cheese, I'll just hit it with my bare head and take my chances".

I know I would choose cheese. But this is getting off topic so I won't follow that line of logic too far. We already know that helmets will work, so there is no point in strapping cheese to our heads.