View Single Post
Old 02-28-11, 04:43 PM
deleterious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first DIY build (sorry for crappy camera phone pics):

It's one of those unbranded Pake frames (or so I hear) from Crosslake, pretty heavy but this is a beater bike so that's fine. The rest: Ultegra brakes, Bontrager Race bullhorns, Bontrager aero brake levers, Origin 8 stem, Tec 9 rims, Serfas Seca tires, Origin 8 pedals. So yeah, midrange stuff but it feels solid and gets me to school.

So the Lasco crankset is the only thing I haven't upgraded yet. I am considering the Sugino messenger, but these seem to be holding up fine so far, anyone had bad experiences with them? Or other recommendations? I have a random set of 165mm Campy Veloce crank arms and the 39mm chainring they attach to, but I think it was originally for a 39/53 setup and the 53 is just missing... would it be possible/desirable to rig that up somehow? I assume I'd need a spacer or two? And 39 would probably be too small for a singlespeed setup, huh?

One ugly part: the cheap, chunky, incredibly ugly plastic brake cable guides. Any good options to remedy this? I am thinking maybe epoxy on some small tubular ones, or possibly drill a few holes, bevel them, and route the cables internally... but then I'd be worried about water getting in the frame, etc. Anyone have experience with that?

Anyway, really just wanted to show off my first build. I am already itching to do another, starting with a better frame, maybe some old lugged steel (I am a C/V guy at heart.) Next step: learning to actually ride fixie without hurting myself. ;)