pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by yugo campione
I believe that you and I are actually in the same camp. If you look back on my previous couple of posts, you will see that I too, assess the risks of each of my rides and will wear a helmet if I deem there are other variables beyond my control, ie. a large pack of riders or lots of congested traffic. I believe that helmets have a place and perform a function, but it is up to the individual to determine at what point it should be worn.

There seems to be 2 sides, both of which are wrong in my opinion; one says helmets are worthless and may even pose additional dangers, and the other saying that a helmet must be worn everytime you go out on a bike or you are stupid. That is just as wrong. In my life, I have been in the 1 major bike wreck, but I have been in a couple major car accidents, so I would have to disagree that a bike poses more of a risk, simply because you are better protected, and again, it should not matter to those that say I need to wear a helmet on every ride, because there is still SOME risk invloved in driving a car. It is all about odds and risk tolerance.
Yep - completely agree with all of that. Driving has plenty of risk. If we're talking specifically about head trauma only though, I would give the edge to cycling - especially if its a fast group ride situation where crashing is more likely.