Old 03-03-11, 02:04 PM
senorfunk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP...Diamondback Podium 5 or Podium 6???

I am an above average bicyclist. I have been riding a Trek 4500 mountain bike, and did more street riding last year. Some days i ride 27 miles to work. Not doing any racing, although i am working toward a mini-triathlon this year, and will probably put 1000-2000 miles per year on my bike.

Based on the above, I need to get a road bike. I have narrowed my search down to the Podium 5 or Podium 6. I know the 6 has a number of upgrades (better crankset, derailleurs, tires, shifters, rear cog, hubs, rims, brakes, brake levers, pedals, handlebar, stem, seatpost). Here is the link if u want to see the exact component upgrades. http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/road/podium-6-11/

My question is, with the riding i'm doing, how much difference are these upgrades going to make to me? Am I better off saving $$ and going with the Podium 5 (which is still a serious upgrade over what I have), or should I spend the extra $$ and go with the Podium 6. The difference to me is about $600. I'll spend the extra cash if i'll see the benefit over the long run, but obviously don't want to spend it if the difference will not be that noticeable.

I really appreciate the opinion of anybody knowledgeable that takes the time to answer. Thank you.

Keith