Old 03-04-11, 01:29 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
As an engineer, I've always found that the simplest solution is always the best, i.e. the KISS principle. For over 100 years, the track frame with its rear facing horizontal dropouts (aka track ends) has withstood the test of time as the best and simplest solution for a fixed gear bicycle. The second best solution is forward facing horizontal road dropouts, which have drawback that if the wheel hub axle slips, the wheel can fall out of the frame, creating a dangerous condition. For this reason all of my SSFG bikes have always had either track or horizontal road dropouts, and I've never bothered to convert any of my old bike frames with vertical dropouts. The fact that something complex and expensive can be done, doesn't mean that it should be. The whole appeal to me of SSFG bikes is their inherent simplicity, so it makes little sense to then complicate them with elaborate work arounds due the use of an inapproprite frame design.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me