Old 03-05-11, 02:22 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 18hockey
I love it, you play the anti-helmet stereotype perfectly.

He provided you with a study that was more recent then the one you claimed was the the only one used and your response was...to immediately search for a link to back up your anti-helmet opinion.

You remind me of smokers.
So you know me so well that you can dismiss me as an " anti-helmet stereotype " huh. Interesting.
And I remind you of pro smokers. Even more interesting
Couple of questions.
1) Which article or web site do smokers quote to justify their addictions safety?
2) What makes you think I did an immediate search for the link to this discussion? I did not by the way.

Really you and I are more alike than you think. I have been a pro-helmet "zealot" from 1985, when decent helmets arrived on the scene, until this year.
I have been an anti-smoking zealot since 1958. You were most likely an un united sperm and ova at this time.
I have been pro motorcycle helmet since 1971, the year I started riding motorcycles (Still do), and remain so.
I have been pro seat belt use since they were available and remain so.
Why? Because I love life and hate that which is opposed to it.
So why the difference now for me with regards to bicycle helmet use and why would I, as a physician, suggest something that some would regard as dangerous and foolhardy.
Well, in defending helmet use and quoting the oft quoted article in New England Journal of Medicine (Bicycle helmet safety, Thompson, 1989)
I stumbled across contrarian views in the Safety and Advocacy forum ( Helmets cramp my style ). Reading some obviously informed but opposing views made me wonder more about this topic. So I spent quite a few hours reading the entire thread, thinking about what I read, thinking about my own experience and chasing down the various articles, both pro and con. In doing this I tried to keep an open mind.
After reading and rereading I came to the conclusion that ....

1) No one is suggesting that children or new riders go without helmets. They should not.
2) In this area of science, anecdotes rule.
3) No well designed study shows bicycle helmets save lives.
4) Helmet manufacturers themselves note that helmets will NOT prevent concussions. How often do you read here that I was not "Concussed" because I had my helmet on.
5) Studies of populations where helmet legislation was enacted fail to show any difference in injury or death rate and do show a dramatic reduction in bicycle usage.
6) Every whole population study of motorcycle helmet use or seat belt use DOES show marked reduction of head injury and fatality rates. Why is this NOT the case with bicycle helmets. Could it be they are not very effective?

So do I still remind you of a smoker?

Really I am not at all a zealot about this. I don't go around while riding telling people that they are wearing the only cycling accessory that fails to do what it is advertised to do. I really don't care if you wear one or not. But I would prefer that you not make assumptions about me that are somewhat ignorant. Still, I assure you I will like you no less if you do. And I am sure that our common likes ( cycling) would more than likely allow us to enjoy each others company on a ride. Hey, I won't even tell you to loose the helmet.