Old 03-07-11, 11:28 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you deal with highway onramps?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but i ran a search and couldn't find much.

How do you other folks deal with highway on-ramps? I have to admit, i get pretty intimidated when trying to cross one. Especially when it is a somewhat blind entrance. It seems that the bike lane (if present) always ends just before the on-ramp. This is where motorist start the race to pick up speed. Often, the bike lane picks up immediately after the on-ramp, but rarely seems to have a safely marked crossing. I like the road designs where the bike lane jumps to the left of the on-ramp and is clearly marked. This seems to make the most sense, but is still negated by the drivers who insist upon racing in front of the car in front of them by crossing the lane (so they can get in traffic faster).

I try to be a confident rider, but this is one of those situations where i must value my life over my "rights to the road". What do others think? Have you seen any superior road designs (and if so, please cite)?