View Single Post
Old 03-08-11, 11:18 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Velocity Dyad rims would be stronger and less expensive than OPs and available in 32 and 36 H, but they are heavier. Velocity Synergys weigh about the same as Dyads. I chose Dyads because they have a machined braking surface in silver, but the Synergys do not -- altho they do in black. Not sure why they are not made consistently.

Mavic CXP 33s are stronger than OPs but weigh about the same as Velocity Dyads and cost the same or more than OPs.

For touring, I concluded that V. Dyads offered the best compromise between cost, weight and durability. My touring/commuting wheels were made with 36H Dyad rims, Ultegra hubs, DT butted spokes, brass nipples and cost about $350 for the set hand-built.

I've got 32H Ultegra/Open Pro wheels on three other bikes. They are great wheels and noticeably lighter than the 32H Dyads, but not as bulletproof. Open Pros are available in 36H but harder to find. If you are going to be using the wheels for loaded touring, I would recommend the Dyads over OPs. Dyads will also accept larger tires.

Last edited by tarwheel; 03-08-11 at 11:32 AM.