Thread: Sun cargo bike
View Single Post
Old 03-08-11, 03:14 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Yuba Mundo still has greater cargo capacity and stronger, integrated wideloaders - something to consider. Also, Yuba does a better job at viral marketing and the coolness factor. Sun isn't likely do market their bike the same way.
You are correct. Unless you were hauling really heavy cargo, though, ultimate weight capacity might not be a huge deal. For me, the thing that attracts me to the Mundo or the Sun is the ability to to have the big cargo bags or kid seats like the peapod. Carrying a bag of cement would be a low priority. For a suburbanite like myself who has a child and Target, Home Depot, Lowes, and the like within 5 miles of my house, the Sun is a little more attractive proposition given the price difference compared to a Mundo. If I were operating a business or routinely needed to haul huge or heavy cargo, I can see the value in the Mundo.

Cromoly frame rather than hi-tensile, and compatibility with xtracycle stuff are selling points to me.

I need to look up the weight difference between Sun and Yuba. 10% of the time I might need the extra stoutness of the Mundo, but 100% of the time I'd be pedaling the extra weight, assuming it is heavier than the Sun.

It's a value for the dollar thing to me that sways the equation. By the time I buy a Mundo and have it shipped to me, I'm looking at a substantial premium over the Sun, which likely will be 90% as functional for close to half the cost. I'm not particularly worried about what others thing image-wise, either, although I agree with you that Yuba has it all over Sun in that regard.

For $600-ish, this seems hard to pass up, really. I just emailed my local shop who can order Sun products and told them that when they can order one to let me know.

Both bikes are nice. My statement that the Sun would be a Mundo killer was overly simplistic of course, but I would think that a Mundo would be a harder sell with a sub-$600 Sun that was awfully close in functionality for most people. Just as Yuba probably steals some sales from Surly on price, I would think Sun would be able to snag some Mundo-shoppers.

Last edited by syncro87; 03-08-11 at 03:19 PM.