monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Looks like a welding failure... the frame has obviously cracked but it appears as if there is an undercut behind the actual weld at the head tube which could also cause a slow failure of the lower joint where a lot of stress is concentrated.

If everything else on the bike looks stellar and lines up I'd semnd the frame back to Trek and have them take a look at it... it is the way the shiny finish looks to have been laid over a bad weld that makes me wonder if it was crash or the start of a slow failure.

I have a gorgeous hand built frame that I got for free because the head tube was coming away from the lugs... it showed no signs of crash damage but the brazing at the head joint had failed.

Based on what you paid you probably have done okay just for the parts value but if Trek sent you a new frame that would be extra sweet.

Being steel, it is repairable but would involve a fair bit of work.
I have the receipt from the pawn shop to prove ownership (if that helps at all), but would Trek even consider doing anything for me as the 2nd 3rd...etc owner? If I did get a frame replacement that would be pretty sweet but I don't hold out much hope. I suppose its worth a shot, but I don't want to get laughed out of the shop. Also I some people have mentioned there is a crack. There is no crack on the frame.

Last edited by monsterpile; 03-08-11 at 06:49 PM.