acciaio is real

Bikes: Yes, bicycle(s) I own!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berny
"hot spots"?
Yeah, hot spots. That's when either the pedal doesn't spread out the pressure across a large enough area on the sole, or the soles aren't stiff enough, causing the pressure to concentrate in one spot, or the shoes don't fit well. Your feet can end up feeling like you're walking over hot coals. It ain't fun when you still have many miles to go on a ride.

To answer the other poster's Q, I've owned Campy Chorus Pro-Fit's (the originals, not the newer Pro-Fit Plus) and they did a good job for me. However, at that time I was using Sidi Genius 3 Mega's, and I would get hot spotting under the ball of the foot. I think it was more the shoes than the pedals causing it, but I can't be sure. I sold that bike before I had a chance to change either the shoes or the pedals.

Just yesterday I ordered a set of Time RXE's. $65. + tax at my fave LBS (they matched Speedgoat on the price, bless their hearts!). The RXE's are just as light as the higher priced RXS Carbon's, (see Link ) but a helluva lot cheaper. All the RXS Carbon's have over the RXE's is the float adjustment, and really that's not necessary IMO. The RXS Ti Carbon's save about 60gm./set, but are much higher priced, and if you're a heavier rider (say 180 lbs. or more) Ti axles are not the best idea.

The Time's will give you a larger platform than some of the others like Speedplay or Eggbeater's, and hence less chance of hot-spotting.

BTW - if you want to spend for the uber-light's, here's a comparison:

~ Speedplay X-1 pr.: +/- 155 gm., cleats: +/-111 gm. = approx. 266 gm.

~ Time RXS Ti Carbon pr.: +/- 200 gm., cleats +/- 85 gm. = approx. 285 gm.

So the X-1's give you maybe a 20-30 gm. weight savings, and that's per pair. I think I'd rather spin an extra 10 or 15 grams per foot and have the larger platform with the RXS'. Kind of a no-brainer to me.

Last edited by Wurm; 06-07-05 at 05:58 AM.