View Single Post
Old 03-12-11, 06:58 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
Yep. Wholeheartedly so. After 5 years rando'ing, pretty much a different bike every year, I think I've found a keeper: an '84 Trek 610. 531cs tubing, sport touring geometry, converted to 650b, and a "rando a la Francaise" build. I've had a soft spot for this particular model Trek since back in '84 when I was working for a Trek dealer in Seattle. And for once, memory is accurate. It's fast, smooth, and handles like a dream. The Kogswell P/R whose place it takes had the comfort and handling down pat, but it's just too heavy and sluggish. Made me feel like I was working too hard. So even if weight isn't "that important", the feel of the bike is (at least for me), and, getting back to the OP's question, that's exactly where the LHT would be most lacking. Well, that and "front-load" (aka low-trail) steering geometry thing.

SP
Bend, OR
Very cool! I did my handful of metrics last year on a Woodrup, which I've since sold. This year I'm setting up my bought-new 1984 Trek 610 for distance riding. I haven't been able to get the fork de-raked, so I'm gettning a new one made - I'll have trail of about 40 degrees when done. I was going to get a Boxdog Pelican, Boulder, or a custom. The reason I've decided against those is that the 610 geometry is nearly identical to that of the Pelican, except for the low-trail fork, and just a few millimeters less drop. I can test the concept for the relatively small cost of a fork.

Bobby/SP, what's your build? I'm going with 700 x 32 tires and a Selle AnAtomica saddle. Gearing is not yet so clear, but the parts on hand are a 13-32 7-speed rear end and either a compact or a triple. Got some steep grades planned, at least for Michigan, so I think I need gears down near 22 inches or so. So far my derailleurs will be vintage Huret Duopar front and rear - I've had great luck with them on the 610, and several other bikes. There may a 13-29 Campy 9 or 10 speed in the future, we'll have to see!

If I was looking for a suitable Trek now, I'd get a 600 or any 6xx from 1983. In that year they provided a fork with 55 mm rake, that would be somewhat better with a front load. An all-531 710 might sound like a good idea, but it's geometry is significantly different.

Several local dealers are trying to sell me an LHT, saying "isn't that just touring?" but the lack of heavy load capability makes it a much different bike. With either the Trek or the Woodrup, I've been ahead of that game for a while.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-12-11 at 07:17 PM.