Old 03-13-11, 04:08 PM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disastrous adventure on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.

Following my Birmingham ride, I decided to brave gale force winds and on - off downpours to ride along the L & L canal from Leeds to the Rodley Barge pub.
I joined the River path and asked if there was a continuous river path / canal towpath to Rodley, the local person pointed down the river, " Sure, no problem, you might have to change sides though" So off I go, glad the wind is behind me, after a while, I twice asked passers by if I could get to Rodley " Keep going"
After a few more miles I thought, I'm sure I'm heading South, checked my Satnav (I keep it for emergencies as battery doesn't last long) Yep! I was going in the opposite direction.
Turned around & fought my way back against winds strong enough to stop me & push me back. After 1 hour, I was back where I started, I stopped on Neville Street bridge, and checked my satnav again. A bit further on, the river dissappeared into a tunnel with no paths, rode though 1st one, then another adjacent tunnel, both were underground carparks, but the 2nd one had a road at the far end, so I rode to it, only to come out 50 metres from where my bus was parked, Grrr!
Finally onto the canal towpath, I battled on against increasingly strong winds and deep mud. About 200 metres from the Rodley Barge, the towpath was blocked by a police barrier, so I had to take a steep hill to the main road, which was also blocked by a lot of policemen. A huge roof had blown loose a big industrial building and was about to crash down onto the road or the canal.
I turned back, warning the few other cyclists I passed, they told me that the route ahead of me was blocked by a truck that had blown over in the centre of Leeds.
I stopped in The Abbey Inn (reputed to be haunted) then had an easier ride back to Leeds. When I returned to Neville Street Bridge, I was horrified to see the truck that had been blown over, lying on it's side in the exact spot I'd stopped to check my satnav!
Maybe I wasn't having such a bad day, then I found out that it had fallen onto several pedestrians and one poor woman had died. And that it happened minutes after I stopped there. Article here

Sorry, if that was a bit of a ramble. Not many pics as I struggled just to stay on the bike. Just one of a windswept Armouries Basin, One of the truck on it's side and finally my GoBike looking more like an off-roader.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P3101269.JPG (81.4 KB, 22 views)
P3101267.JPG (88.4 KB, 18 views)
P3131276.JPG (68.5 KB, 36 views)
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!