View Single Post
Old 03-16-11, 11:43 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't really see advantages for cyclists in the proposed project in Niles Canyon. The road widening and straightening of some of the turns will certainly result in faster traffic and is likely to also see a substantial increase in volume as more motorists choose this route instead of routes involving I-680. That would be fine for the sections that will gain wider shoulders, but my main concern when cycling in Niles Canyon has always been on the bridges and underpasses and, AFAIK, these will not modified. In addition, the current center rumble strip is planned to be replaced by rumble strips between the travel lanes and shoulders. Fine as long as the shoulder is rideable, but could be a problem when there's debris on the shoulder and also when approaching one of the bridges where the shoulder disappears.

So my view is that the project will make sections of this road that are already ok for cycling a little better but will make the hazardous bridges and underpasses even more of a problem.