View Single Post
Old 03-18-11, 12:05 AM
JesterMasque

Bikes: Raleigh Pursuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, new Clydesdale to the forums. I'm 6'00", 235. I'm making a lot of changes to my lifestyle and I realized how much running hurts my joints after over a whole year of being sedentary (I used to play tennis, power walk, and do light yoga 30 lbs and a girlfriend ago). I just got my first bike in ten years. It's vintage (almost) Raleigh Pursuit 12 speed.

I've taken it out two days so far, both were about 7-8 miles. I got a new saddle for it. I got the Serfas Hybrid RX saddle. Maybe it was because of the first day on the old seat, but my butt bones hurt like crazy. For now I'm riding on some older 27" x 1-3/8" Panaracer (no model name) street tires. I'm still trying to get used to the stem shifters, which is NOT fun trying to go uphill with my weight and not being on a bike for so long. All through my teen years I rode my bike all over the Chicago suburbs. I'm only 25 and I want to get back to having that endurance. My girlfriend and I have the dream of biking across the USA by 2012 or 2013.

I'm going to thumb through these pages about "us people," but in the meantime, any advice you could offer to help get me on the right starting track to getting in shape...

Thanks everyone!
Here's a link to a thread I started about my new bike: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...aleigh-Pursuit