View Single Post
Old 06-08-05, 10:11 AM
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh - yeah, saw that... scary. I actually printed out and showed that photo to one of the mechs over at Urbane Cyclist in Toronto before I bought my rear wheel - they use the DA22 on a lot of wheels, and have never seen one fail like that - and have had nearly none come back due to defects. I'd hazard a guess that while the fit and finish on the DA22 isn't top of the line, they still build up into a strong reliable wheel when built properly.

That said, my next rims are probably Open Pros.

Anyone care to speculate on the ride differences between a rigid semi-aero rim like the DA22 and something like the Open Pro? Rotational weight differences aside (Open Pros are lighter I imagine) would there be any real perceptible differences in the ride quality? Vibration transmission? Flex?

I ride a lugged steel racing frame on 25c Vittorias, so it's already a fairly smooth ride, but wondering if a set of Pros would tweak the plush up a notch?

The DA22s feel very stiff, and I imagine they might be a bit harsher on an aluminum frame, running 23c tires.

Last edited by ventolin; 06-08-05 at 10:19 AM.