Old 03-22-11, 05:18 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by motobecane69
if the frame hasn't been compromised, whats the difference between spending 500 to fix an old bike up like new or paying $500 for a new bike? both will ride great.

I fixed up an old hi-ten bike last summer as my first project and spent close to $500 to do it. I rode it for 3 months and enjoyed it then sold it for $300! technically I lost $200 on the deal, but I learned a ton and had the enjoyment of riding it. can't go wrong there.
I'm all for keeping old bikes on the road, but only when it makes financial sense. The difference between spending $500 on the frame pictured and buying a $500 new bike is that you'll actually have a brand new bike that won't look like junk. If you want something that looks bad, buy something cheap.

I see your point about learning and the sense of accomplishment. But if you want that, get a bike that is old and dirty. Give it a complete overhaul (bearings, cables, brakes, etc.) Not one that needs a complete set of parts. Your example shows what I mean. I'd rather wait for a good deal and maybe if I do a good enough job cleaning it up and fixing it I can make $100 when I sell it. That's more of an accomplishment for me, rather than sinking a ton of money into something then selling it at a huge loss.

Your plan only makes sense for those with money to throw away.