Old 03-22-11, 09:51 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen the Brodie Pax in person and take a look at it (seemed okay!), although I unfortunately never rode it. I did ride the Section 7 and Section 8, which are very similar bikes save for having cruiser-esque frames instead of a step thru, but my overall impression of them was that Brodie had their stuff together.

I personally own a Globe Live 2 in a diamond frame model, but there is a mixte version available. I threw on a nice wide leather saddle, added a dynamo hub and a rear rack, and it's absolutely perfect for the city! The geometry is really well suited towards the big front carrier they equip it with too. If you might enjoy having a flat front platform, this is a great bike. The half chain guard + chainring guard together are sufficient from my personal experience. The Live 2 actually comes in a size that would probably be appropriate for you, too.

In 2011, the Live is only available as a mixte in one model, which has horizontal dropouts. You could add a front disc, but not a rear one.

The 2010 models were nicer. They had an eccentric bottom bracket, which negates the need for a tensioner, allows easy wheel changes, removes the possibility of the wheel slipping, and allows easy use with disc brakes. The 2010 models had a chainstay disc brake mount.

There was also a 2010 model mixte which had belt drive and disc brakes as standard equipment.

If you dig the sound of that, you could probably find a 2010 model still - there are some shops in the area here at least that still have some around.

Oh yes! I was in the U.S. for the first time the other week, and wandered into an REI. The Novara bicycles you mentioned also looked really great, design wise. I wasn't much of a fan of the colours personally, but the rest was great. The tensioner on the Fusion also struck me as a bit funny, but otherwise it was definitely a nice bicycle.

Last edited by Abneycat; 03-22-11 at 10:55 PM.