View Single Post
Old 03-24-11, 06:23 PM
The MAX

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought: mid-80s Norco Avanti SL

So as I've stated in a few threads, C&V, in atlantic canada, is rare. Most of the stuff in classifieds is department store crap, and if a Peugeot or Nishiki or something comes along it's usually priced for real worth and then some, even if it isn't rideable.

Well this got posted to Kijiji last night as per my thread inquiring about it. I got a hold of the guy last night and agreed to meet him this evening. He said there was "High end parts" on it and they were "shimano." But he didn't know the name of the bike or which parts exactly he had, though he claimed to have worked on bikes before and through around the Motobecane name a lot.

the response to my thread wasn't a lot but it appeared it would be high tensile steel crap, or a decent frame. Me and my uncle who is in town visiting, drove the half hour to see the bike. It was not hi-ten steel. It wasn't the highest end bike in the day, but I have to say I think I did pretty damn well for my region, for $40.

Frame and fork are both Tripple Butted Ishiwata Cromo
Derailleurs and Shifters are Suntour (no model names on the derailleurs... info?)
Crankset is a Sugino No. 6
Headset in Tange TG235 (?)
Stem and Bars are WinPista
brakes and levers are Dia Compe
27 1/4in wheels on Suzue hubs (same make hub on my Colnago Sport, but different model)
not sure what the BB is yet.

best part is it's in great condition! few minor scrapes to the paint and some rust spotting on the chrome parts but nothing serious. I should be able to put new cables and housing on this, tune up the brakes and derailleurs and ride! But I am going to check the chain for stretch and probably repack BB, Headset, and wheels. This should be an easy restore for me just need to get a few tools to do the job which I need anyway, I've been bumming time off local shops and I think I've out stayed my welcome. lol

So what do you guys think?! I really like the lug lining.