learnmedia
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fore/aft play in headset

Completing my very first build has been frustratingly delayed by a loose headset that I cannot fix. After reading a number of posts, both on BF and elsewhere on the interwebs, it seems that I've assembled the headset, expander plug, stem, and top cap correctly. However, just to be sure, and before I swallow my neophyte pride and take it to my LBS I'm asking those with experience troubleshooting loose headsets for help.

Pics show the type of expander plug, top cap and stem. I am using the expander plug for preload prior to tightening the bolts on the stem and tightening the top cap. Top cap does not contact the steerer tube.However the design of the expander plug requires that it sit on top of the steerer tube.

When firmly tightened, there's fore/ aft play that shouldn't be present.

More info:

I took everything apart just to be doubly sure that the drop-in angular contact bearings are installed correctly along with the centering ring. The fork crown race was installed by LBS.

The top cap is a spare given to me by the LBS after I purchased one that clearly was not designed for the type expander plug that I have.

Extra steerer exists until I get fit dialed in. Tube is tapered 1 1/8" to 1 1/2".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.