View Single Post
Old 03-29-11, 01:12 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
deciphering stats and comparing apps

Hi,

I'm about to get the bikes out of the garage and basement and start putting some miles on this season. I also have a goal to shed excess weight this summer, so along with that I've been exploring apps to run on my Blackberry Curve.

At lunch today I took a break from work and went for a walk, out the building, through some woods, along a powerline road adjacent to a golf course, rambling over brush and following deer trails, then back to the building on a fitness trail. Total distance was about 2.2 miles, total time was about an hour (fished a couple of golf balls out of a creek so lost a little time there j) ) .

I was using two apps on the phone: Endomondo and iMapMyRide, both in walking mode accessing the phone's GPS. I was also using a Polar F6 HRM.
Here are the results:
Endomondo says 310kcal and 2.11 miles.
IMapMyRide says 224kcal and 2.29 miles.
Polar HRM says 478kcal, 1:05:56 elapsed time, 125 max heart rate, 105 avg heart rate, and some other stuff I haven't figured out how to retrieve yet.

I'm in my mid-50's, weigh about 250Lbs, stand about 5'11", and I think some or all of that is programmed into the HRM and one or both of the phone apps.

I might just use the HRM while on the bike, but am thinking one of the phone apps might be nice as well since they have the route/map record in case I want to share a route with someone.

So, are any of these halfway accurate, or should I just average them?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.