Old 03-29-11, 02:23 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
The "problem" with waiting for another car to come up behind you to trip the sensor is that in my experience I've had too many motorists stop outside the sensor. Even when I've waved them to move forward they're still reluctant to do so.
Yeah, I've encountered that too.

I considered starting a thread debating whether nice people are st00pid or st00pid people are nice, based on a couple of incidents on my commute home yesterday where people who were trying to be nice to me on the bike really just gummed up the whole thing because they refused to take their turn when they had the right of way. I was crossing a fairly busy 5-lane at one point. There was a gap in the southbound traffic so I went halfway, to the center left-turn lane. While waiting for northbound traffic to clear, one car in the left lane slowed down and eventually stopped, trying to let me go by. A nice gesture, but I don't trust the people in the right northbound lane to do likewise, so I waved him on. I wasn't in anyone's way in the center lane; no one was turning left. Just keep going and I'll wait until the light a quarter mile down changes, thank you very much....

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."