Old 03-29-11, 03:09 PM
XandX2005

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot U08, 2008 Specialized Hardrock, 2010 Trek Scratch 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Wheels, derailleurs, bottom bracket, cables, tires, saddle, tape..... Careful - you've got a real money pit on your hands if you have to buy everything retail. And that bb is cottered, so if you replace it (and you should, IMO) you'll need a new crank, too.

There's nothing minimal about this particular one - you've bit off a whole lot to chew. Take no half measures here. The first thing you need to do is to strip this one down to the frame, and assess what's what and calculate the cost of restoring it to serviceability.
Yeah, this isn't a minimal project at all. Lot's of stuff to be worked through. And I'm working on stripping it down to the frame, piece by piece. The only two roadblocks in my path right now are:

1) The stem seems to be rusted into the tube it slides down into. I spprayed some wd-40 around the base of it, hopefully it loosens up.

2) The crank arm bolts on both sides aren't budging at all. Tried giving them a nice tap to punch them out the other side, but no movement. Not sure what's going on here. Any tips on how to knock it loose?