Thread: Head Angle Help
View Single Post
Old 03-30-11, 08:51 AM
Vitix2

Bikes: Ridley Damocles & Excaliber; Pegoretti Marcelo; Merckx SXM; Olmo Gara Pista; Black Mountain Cycles Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Head tube angle is not really a fit parameter, and you're describing a fit problem. Maybe you are feeling a difference in SEAT tube angle. Is the seat tube much slacker angled than your other bikes?

It sounds like you had a bike built with too slack a seat tube angle and too short a top tube and now you can't get your hands out far enough or your butt forward enough"

The more feedback that I get and the more I think about it, I'm starting to feel that I will just have to give the fit some time. The head and seat angle are both 73 degrees, which is about average for what I ride. I have one bike with a 72.5 seat tube angle and a 60 cm top tube that is at one end of the spectrum (Merckx century Geometry), and another that has a 73.5 seat tube angle and a 58.5 top tube. The 73.5 seat tube angle bike seems to be a better fit, but I have always felt that the shorter top tube is the reason, not the seat tube angle.

I only have about 200 miles on the frame that I'm concerned about, and over those two hundred miles I have been swapping stems, playing with fore aft and seat height trying to dial it in. However, It just did not work, and I stopped riding it. It is hard to see a bike that you had such high hopes for, and paid good money for, sitting around collecting dust.

Maybe it is just so different than what I'm used to, even if it is the appropriate fit, that it just feels weird.