View Single Post
Old 06-09-05, 02:58 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jc1
Is this true? Drivetrains need to be broken in? This does not seem to make sense considering it is all mechanical, shouldn't it be more precise when new and only loose it's precision as it wears. (although very slowly)

I understand other things needing to be "broken in" like brake pads, or lubricated parts, but I don't see why a new drivetrain would need "breaking in"
Drivetrains don't need "breaking in" the only thing that "breaks in" are the cables and that's more of a slight stretch issue that's easy to adjust out.
Originally Posted by seely
I don't see how its possible to twist a chain in ANY circumstance, unless force was involved, derailleurs properly adjusted or not. It sounds like operator error, maybe coupled with a derailleur adjustment, but force was definately involved if a chain twisted.
That's what I'm saying. That's how I screwed mine up a few years back. I did something dumb and it came back to bite me.