View Single Post
Old 04-02-11, 04:24 PM
pritpalmanku

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Wear

Hi Guys I am a long time reader, first time poster. I need a little bit of help with my bike. I was in the process of restoring an older bike when I noticed the chain, freewheel and chain rings were either broken or worn. Although I expected that (over 5 years old) I also checked my new bike for chain wear. I have used the Parktool CC-3 and noticed that there is wear on my chain at 0.75 in some places but not others. There is no wear at 1.0.

The bike I am currently using is a Specialized Allez 2010 16 gear bike. The chainset is a Shimano 2300, the cassette is Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 12-25t and the chain is a KMC Z-51. I have done approximately 600 miles on the bike (it is still relatively new)

I have also visually checked my chainrings and cassette and noticed some irregularities. Ive attatched some pictures to show these. On the chainring it looks like some of the teeth have been broken and on the cassette it looks like two of the teeth have been rounded. I have also been in an accident where I went straight into a car (driver pulled out without looking) and the chain came off, although I dont know how much significance this has as it happened over a month ago and I have only noticed these problems now.

Ive gone to my LBS (Halfords) but the person there wasnt very helpful at all.

What I need to know are the following things, any help would be appreciated. If you cant answer all the questions I will appreciate any help with some.

1. Do i need to change the chain or any other parts of the bike? Currently I have no shifting problems or slippages.

2. Is there anything wrong in the way I cycle? I do have a tendancy to change gears a lot and I usually do this while im still pedalling, however I rarely do this when standing up.

3. Is there something wrong in the way I am cleaning/lubricating my chain? I usually do this once a week on the weekend after commuting to work (about 100 miles a week). I use the mucoff chain cleaning tool and spray. Then I wash it off, let it dry for a bit, spray some gt85 and put on some teflon oil on the chain. I also use some degreaser to get crap off the chainrings and freewheels, but only if necessary.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (82.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (87.7 KB, 83 views)