Old 04-03-11, 07:28 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
From a frame building end it is still quite similar as it is far easier to work with someone who already has a bike that they are very comfortable with that we can draw measurements from which is easier than working from scratch with someone who isn't exactly sure what they want or does not have a lot of experience.
this is so true, my case last summer is a great example of this point. When I looked at Cross bikes (to be used really on road) I went into stores with my old touring bike, which I knew was always a bit too long in the reach for me (but just put up with, dont underestimate the "putting up with" factor)
I had a measuring tape with me, and by knowing what dimensions were pretty close for me vis a vis the old bike, and from my mtn bike commuter also, I was able to get a Tricross that really fits me quite well, although I suspect that on paper a size larger would be more "recommended"

Peter--very good points and I agree totally with you about having to know yourself what fits and what doesnt. I would reckon though that a large majority of bike buyers do not have the riding experience to properly evaluate it themselves, as I am sure a vast majority of people with bikes dont ride them that often (and then theres the "putting up with" factor too)

I do not have the experience with "fitting" quote unquote as some of you guys, but I do certainly make a point of trying to point out to people I know some of hte basics, like 65ers friend with the LHT, as even rudimentary stuff like this can greatly help someone be more comfortable, hence like biking more, hence bike more and hence get a better understanding of how a bike should fit.