View Single Post
Old 04-03-11, 09:25 PM
courten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smoking, Drinking, and other bad things.

I quit smoking about 2 years ago, and my weight ballooned to about 225 from 190. I am 6' and broad with very strong legs. Track in high school, high jump etc.

I have since started smoking again, and stopped (26 times last year, and 7 times this year). I have called a truce, and continue this yoyo of smoking, not smoking.

Anyhow I hit the bike late last year, after a hiatus of about 7 years. Previously I commuted about 40 miles a day and rode MTB on the weekends for about 60 - 80 miles.

I digress, bought a new cyclocross about a month ago, have since put 750km on it the first month. Yes it was hard. Hard to find time to ride while finding time for my family. I sneak in 4 hours on Saturday morning and a couple on Sunday, plus any opportunity I can get.

Amazingly, I have gained weight, a couple of pounds...which floored me. Face has gone from chubby to sleek, legs not much different, but the gut (beer+wine) is nearly gone. Looking in the mirror, I like, more importantly, so does the wife.

I am a chef by training, so have always ate very well (nutritious, balanced, etc.).

To you even bigger guys out there, just keep at it, it takes months. The first time I climbed a mountain I had to stop five times, and the entire ride I felt like I wanted to vomit. But I got to the top!

Don't give yourself a heart attack, breaks are not just for girly men. One day, you'll ride it without stopping, and smile at the top.

The next time up, you will attack the downhill...which is what us big guys rock at!

Well that and a break away against the 145lb twerp riding a carbon fiber frame...he has no chance on the flats. :-D