Old 04-04-11, 09:56 AM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me spend my money

First off I have researched till my eyes bleed. So thanks in advance for any help.

Here is my situation

I can only commute twice a week due to circumstances not allowing me enough time the other three days each week. I have a hard tailed mountain bike with 26" wheels and I am hoping to add the other three days of commuting by increasing my speed/less time to work etc. 15 mile round trip gentle rolling hills and I plan to pedal all the way.

I first and foremost care more for quality and longevity than money savings but I do want to save anywhere I can. I am an electrical engineer and quite a mechanic on the side so the building and or fabricating is not an issue.

I am looking at front wheel gear driven hubs (that is what I have settled on) I have looked into the ezee and amped kits so far. Can anyone tell me any plus one kit has over the other? Or another brand I should look at?

Batteries I want lithium do not want SLA. Now everything I read at first pointed at the Ling LifePo4 then I read on amped bike that the LifePo4 are very delicate and do not get much of a lifespan and they recommend phyllion is this true?

Looking into buying RC batteries and making my own packs but looks like by the time I buy enough packs and a fancy charger for them they are no cheaper than the Lings? Am I missing something with the RC batteries? They also seem to require more attention with charging and balancing.

If I am not on the right track feel free to redirect I do not mind research but with the ebike conversions there seems to be a ton of that Chinese salesmanship that sometimes makes the facts hard to find.