Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
I've never heard a "Brrrrp" sound from a bike, but it it was a "Blaaaft" sound, I could tell you exactly what the problem is.
Blaaaaft usually only happens when I radically change my diet.

Twelve links on the chain were not quite 12 and 1/8", So I was hoping that I'd gotten to the chain replacement before doing damage to the rest of the drivetrain.

I rode home from work after posting and suspect the chain rings -- they're really cheap, and the middle is making the noise a little more than the big ring, but it's hard to tell b/c I don't have the same strength in the PM as in the AM. (no coffee!)

I'd actually like to pull the (low miles) triple off of my jamis, so I have one that I could use.

My pedals are from a 1973 Atala and have probably never gotten new grease-- I'll service those once I figure out how to open them up.

So if I replace the chain rings and BB, I might as well do the freewheel. Lame. Sounds like a full drive train overhaul is in order. And I just blew the bike budget on an xtracycle. Oh well.