View Single Post
Old 04-10-11, 06:22 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Correct.

I have done it, it works. Also if the dog is moving around adjust your position to still be sideways to the dog. This is a display of a wider easy target in a dog fight. Head on is a smaller target in a fight, that is a challenge. Do not look the dog in the face either, that is also an aggressive signal. Don't even look at him. If you can out last the dog he may just quit. If you try to ride again, dogs will probably run after you they typically chase things that seem to be running. Walking away is possibly safer. Also when standing sideways, take a deep breath and let it out and relax your muscles. The dogs can sense a lot of tension. If you stay sideways and the dog takes it easy, you can slowly move and take the dogs space. This means you are in charge, but don't want to fight. It works great.
Being motionless is not as important as relaxed muscles in the body. There is a lot of info out there that is more help.
All well and good in theory but "take a deep breath and relax" doesn't help people who are afraid (with or without good reason) of dogs, nor does it help against the idea that when I go out on my bike I want to ride, not spend untold amounts of time playing the canine psychologist.